How Much Should A Website Cost You? Here’s The Clue
As someone who has been an affiliate marketer for many years, I have often been asked, “How much should a website cost you?” This is a valid question especially among novice affiliate marketers since many are actually starting their online ventures with little to no capital.
Apples and Oranges Comparison
You have to keep in mind that the final cost of a website will depend on your own needs and wants in it. Your website will be different from your fellow affiliate marketers – in fact, it should be different so that you can establish your brand – since there will be several differences, too. Your product and services, packages and prices, and personal preferences in a website will be different from your competitors.
The bottom line: You should avoid making comparisons between the costs of your website with the costs of your competitors’ websites. You’re making an apples-and-oranges comparison.
Set Goals for Website Design and Development
Instead, you have to determine your exact needs and wants in an affiliate marketing related website particularly in terms of:
- What are your goals for the website? You can combine several goals, such as increasing the website’s traffic, conversions, and retention.
- What is your target market? Your website’s design will be influenced by your target customers’ preferences, as well as your products’ core characteristics.
- What is your budget? You have to remember that your website costs will range from the actual design and development to the continuing maintenance costs (e.g., hosting). You must then consider how reasonable these costs are, especially when you’re on a tight budget.
What Affects the Cost?
Every website will have its specific cost items but these are the factors that affect costs in general.
- The number of pages. The more pages in a website, the higher the cost.
- The complexity of design for each page. The more complex the design, the more coding required, the higher the bill, too.
- Content entry and migration. The more contents that must be entered into the website, the higher the cost, too. The amount of effort involved, whether manual or automatic migration, will also be considered.
- Integration with current software applications or client database. This is usually true in e-commerce websites, which will also jack up the cost.
- Custom features and functions. The features can include video players, photo galleries, online directories, e-commerce, and social media, which are incorporated via extensions, modules, and plug-ins.
Keep in mind that a more creative your website, the more likely your cost can increase, especially in professional work.
Consider Your Choices
You have two main choices in website design and development. First, you can hire a professional website designer. But you will be spending more money on their professional services so if you’re working with a limited budget, this may not be an option.
Second, you can use a website builder. Wealthy Affiliate has the SiteRubix platform which is a complete package already and it includes hosting, email accounts and even one on one mentorship. You can also purchase an individual domain from WA’s SiteDomains although 25 domains are included when you sign up for SiteRubix’s monthly plan.
Your choice in a DIY website builder will be influenced by your resources. You may be lacking in one or several of these four types of resources necessary for successful website creation:
- Technical knowledge especially in coding
- Design skills including layout, color schemes, and content
If you’re like many new affiliate marketers, you will likely not have the budget for professional website design and development. Your best choice is then the do-it-yourself website builders that, when done the right way, will provide similar benefits as the professionally-designed websites.
The best things about the Wealthy Affiliate Website Builder are:
#1 Ease of setting up your website. You don’t have to possess coding skills since the site already provides templates for the affiliate marketers to choose from.
#2 Extensive choice in templates. You will find a few templates that will suit your vision of your website, whether it’s casual or formal in overall design.
#3 Effective security. Your worries about security threats, such as hacking, are unfounded since the site monitors every website under its care 24/7 and eliminates threats even before these happen.
#4 Fast platform that delivers on success. You have an effective and efficient tool that will push your affiliate marketing goals to the next level.
The bottom line: You will find a great partner in Wealthy Affiliate from the creation of your website to the generation of revenues for your business.
What’s the cost? You can choose either the:
- Starter Package, a free package (zero cost) specially made for newbies who want to get started ASAP; or the
- Premium Package, a package for people who are raring to get started on their success and are ready for it. The cost comes in at $49 a month.
Regardless of your choice, you will find that your website becomes your best friend in promoting your affiliate marketing business!
Your choice of website features will dictate how much you’ll need to spend initially. You can start with zero cost but if you want the best features for your website, you must be willing to spend a bit of money. Wealthy Affiliate’s program is a complete package and is really worth looking into if you want to become a serious affiliate marketer.
Finally, once you have your website up and running, you should adopt necessary measures to ensure that it will be worth your investment. Keep these tips in mind:
- Put yourself in your target customers’ shoes. Your website’s contents should be partly determined by their preferences so that they can become conversions, repeat visitors, and referrers.
- Place your affiliate links in areas where they are most likely to see and click on them. You can experiment with the placement, size, and colors of your links until you find the best one.
- Content is king. Your content should always be useful, relevant and actionable for your readers.
In the end, your website is only a tool – it’s your job to use it in the best way possible to achieve success in affiliate marketing.
I wish you all the best and hope this article help you in choosing A right platform in building your online business. Last but not least feel free to drop your thought below.